In this postpartum season I have found two types of pills I am so thankful for. Brace yourself for this first one. I'm taking a risk here. But it's worth it, especially if putting it out there helps some other momma-to-be, right? You might think I'm crazy...I'm ingesting my placenta in the form of a pill. Yes, you read that correctly. Think it's a bit strange? Well, my research is limited, but I'm pretty sure that most mammals eat their placentas after birth and I know that it's commonplace for women in other cultures to do so as well. Here is a great blog post to read if you're curious to know a bit more about placenta encapsulation. It's chalk full of iron, protein, hormones, and other great things for postpartum recovery that I really don't know much about. What I do know for sure is that my postpartum experience has been different in notable ways this time around. I have been much more emotionally stable, I've had a much larger milk supply (didn't necessarily need that...can you say engorged?), and while I'm tired many days, I don't feel lethargic and fatigued to the extreme I have before. So many people have been making these types of comments. "You look so rested!" "You have so much energy." "I can't believe you just had a baby!" I think it's because of my placenta.
And now on to a pill that is less shocking but has been no less than revolutionary around our home this week. Probiotics. I've taken one off and on for several years now and through much of Noah's pregnancy. If you don't know much about probiotics, I'd recommend doing a bit of your own research. The basic info is that a probiotic contains strains of healthy bacteria that our bodies need for a well-functioning gut. Well, about one week into Noah's life, I ran out of my probiotic and didn't consider it urgent to buy more. Around that same time, he started to have trouble with gassiness and difficulty pooping. It was keeping us up at night and causing plenty of frustration for this tired breast feeding mommy. He was by no means colicky, but was noticeably uncomfortable and unsettled. After a handful of trying days and nights, I turned to my hubby and said, "Hmmm...I ran out of probiotic about the same time he started struggling with gassiness." And if you've ever had a gassy, frustrated newborn, you know you'll try most anything to bring them comfort...especially something so simple. We bought more probiotic. I started taking some morning and night. Within that first day, he was a more content baby. He started burping and pooping with less effort. I did a bit of online research and confirmed that probiotics are most definitely passed on in breast milk and that some doctors/researchers declare it the most effective treatment for gassiness in babies. It has continued to make all the difference for our little guy's digestive system.
Cheryl's Birthday
2 years ago

5 comments:
Thanks for sharing! I have never heard of the placenta encapsulation and love hearing of alternatives to one-size-fits-all modern medicines.
I have read some about the placenta to pill process but never known a real, live person who has done it. Did someone do it for you? So cool! Glad it's making a difference for you.
COOL!!!! I'd also like to know how you managed to get the placenta in pill form.
What kind of probiotic do you buy? There are lots of different brands to choose from and I was a little overwhelmed. I had to put Ian on amoxicillin for his ear infection and the dr. recommended I give him a probiotic to prevent diaper rash from diahrrea. Every other time he has had a horrible diaper rash, but we haven't had any problems at all this time. I really wish I had known about this wonderful pill when both my girls were terribly colicky as newborns. Ahh well, glad it's helping you!
I love this post...you are so cool! I've wanted to try the probiotic because I keep hearing about it. Hmmm...now I'm thinking about it again. Next time we talk, I'm going to ask you some questions.
I have never heard of encapsulating your placenta... very intriguing. Thanks for the info on this.
My sis-in-law swears by probiotics...they've made all the difference for her.
Post a Comment